Friday, April 8, 2011

Here I go!

There is something about deadlines that helps me get things done.  With my surgery this week (well, in about 3 hours), I managed to get a few things done.  I finished one quilt that had been sitting around for a long time just waiting for the last little bits (the bits that aren't so fun but needed in order to get to the completed stage).  I also managed to get two others ready for just the hand sewing of the binding (ones that had also been sitting in the pile for a long time).  Good feeling.  And then I had the brainwave that now would be a good time to take my machine in for servicing as I won't be using it for the next couple of weeks.  Hopefully after that I can manage to work a little bit as the recovery continues in a couple of weeks.



These are the pictures of the finished quilt.

So, today is the surgery.  At least that's the plan.  That was the plan a week ago too, and I was bumped for emergencies.  I am happy not to be the emergency.  And the week turned out to be a huge blessing in disguise.  It is amazing how God can use not so pleasant things and turn them into experiences where His grace is abundantly evident.  I hope that I will never forget the strong lessons of these last weeks.

At our school each grade level has been responsible for leading a chapel on a particular concept associated with living our lives for Christ.  In March my grade level led the chapel on community building, so I spent a great deal of time thinking and talking about what it means to be community.  And now I have been able to experience just what it means to be a part of community (and this will continue as I recover after the surgery and I learn what it means to ask for and accept help).  I have been incredibly blessed and surrounded by many communities (my family, my students and their families, my colleagues, my church, my neighbours, and beyond).  All of that support and the incredible grace of God has helped me to this point of feeling calm and peaceful about today.  What a gift.

The memory work that my students had for March was also a huge blessing in that regard.  And - here is God at work again - we had originally planned it for April, but changed it to March.  Philippians 4: 5 - 7 - "Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  I have experienced that peace - and yes, it does transcend all understanding.  Oh, what gratitude I feel for the gift of God's presence, God's faithfulness, and His abiding love.

No comments:

Post a Comment