Saturday, April 23, 2011

Life is Dessert

                      

"When did I stop thinking life was dessert?....It takes a full twenty minutes after your stomach is full for your brain to register satiation.  How long does it take your soul to realize that your life is full?  The slower the living, the greater the sense of fullness and satisfaction.  The body and soul can synchronize." 
Ann Voskamp in One Thousand Gifts (p. 76)

While the main course I have just been served wasn't exactly what I had ordered, I now have time to enjoy the dessert.  I get to live a slower life for the next weeks, having the time to savour and enjoy.  And a great dessert it is. 

The challenge is this.  How do I make this a way of life for myself?  How do I develop the habits and thinking needed to make this automatic for me?  How do I keep from wolfing down my life rather than savouring it?  Because I do believe that this serving of dessert will end and I'll get a new and changed main course of life. 

My prayer is this.   That I learn what is important in this life God has given me.  That I am able to filter out or simplify those things that keep me from savouring this gift of life, this dessert God has given me.  That I learn to savour the dessert.  And the main course, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment