Saturday, December 31, 2011

Be Still

Today is the last day of 2011.  It's a time to look back over the year.  My year was not at all what I had expected.  And yet, despite the rougher times, it was a good year.  I can say that I was able to truly experience what it means to be a part of community - on the receiving end this year.  And it was good.  I can say that I experienced what it means to feel the prayers of others supporting them.  And it was good.  I can say that I experienced the feeling of knowing that it was God who gave the strength and the hope and the encouragement.  And it was good.

Tomorrow is the first day of 2012.  Now is also a time to wonder about what the new year brings.  None of us knows what that will be.  And that is probably a good thing.  What we do know is that God goes with us into this new year.  And that is more than good!  God gives us hope and the promise of His abundant blessings.  And that is also more than good!


For the last number of years I have focused on words rather than making resolutions.  While that focus got blurred at times, having the focus to come back to has been such a blessing to me. 

For the last number of years, I couldn't decide which of several words to focus on, so I had a couple.  This year is different.  I do have one focus that I hope to base my life on. 


Be still.  This comes from Psalm 46:10.  "Be still and know that I am God."



I want to take the time to be still.  This means taking time to stop.  Taking time to see God.  To know God.  It also means trying not to worry.  To still the thoughts that sometimes swirl through my mind. 

As I was putting in the pictures for this post, a thought about being still occurred to me.  Still waters reflect their surroundings more clearly than rough water.  I want to be still so that I can better reflect the gifts of God. 

I love the way it is put in the Message.  "Step out of the traffic!  Take a long, loving look at me, your High God."

Be still.

No comments:

Post a Comment