Sunday, January 25, 2015

Looking Back - Looking Ahead

I've been thinking back over these last few weeks.  Have I been focusing better?  What have I been focusing on?  I will answer those questions, but for me, right now I'm happy that the word has not left me.  It's still been part of my days.  Not every day, to be sure.  But the word has continued to swirl through my thoughts.  Swirling as I seek to figure out just what it means for me to focus and what I should be focusing on.

Have I been focusing better?  Sometimes.  Sometimes not.  I still find myself trying to multi-task at night.  And failing quite miserably.  I think I just need to turn off the iPad or the computer rather than having them sitting ready - where they are easy to hop onto for just a minute.  But I have managed to finish some projects.  Well, maybe not totally finish, but make progress at least.  Focus has to be flexible, though.  My plan for today had been to do lots of sewing/quilting work.  But then I had an invitation to join family for dinner.  I chose to put the family time in the foreground and focus on that, keeping the sewing in the background for later.  And I'm glad I did.  Part of my plan/hope for the day was also to spend some time outside.  In keeping with the need to focus on enjoying the moment and getting some exercise.  I decided to walk to the family event as a way to maintain that focus.  

One of the ways I want to work on my focus is to work on reading some more "serious" types of books.  I really prefer to read novels.  And I think that is okay!  But I can learn from other books as well as from novels.  Here is a quote from the book I am currently reading.  A Million Little Ways by Emily Freeman.  

"I don't believe there is one great thing I was made to do in this world.  I believe there is one great God I was made to glorify.  And there will be many ways, even a million little ways, I will declare His glory with my life."  (p.40)  While I can't focus on a million little ways, I can focus on working on glorifying Him with my life.  I may not always succeed.  But I can always try.

And one last quote that can help me with where to focus.  This one is from The Story Keeper by Lisa Wingate.  "So often it is our narrow focus that limits us.  When we look only at our own plans, we miss the infinite possibilities of a greater plan."  (p.410)  (This is from a novel, just to remind me that reading novels is not a bad thing.  Not that I really need reminding.)

No comments:

Post a Comment